Bible truths that underlie ministry at City of Grace
1. WHAT IS THE BIBLE? The Bible is the inspired and infallible Word of God, teaching us the truth about God, ourselves, and life.
2. WHO IS GOD? There is one God, the sovereign creator and sustainer of all things, who is perfect in all His attributes. He exists eternally in three distinct yet equal persons ─ God the Father, God the Son (Jesus Christ), and God the Holy Spirit.
3. WHO ARE WE? God created people, male and female, in His own image to fellowship with Him in obedience and manage the rest of creation to His glory.
4. WHAT HAPPENED TO US? Our first parents, Adam and Eve, sinned against God thus losing their desire to love and please Him. All of us are born and live as sinners and, apart from God’s salvation, are subject to His eternal judgment for our sin.
5. HOW ARE WE SAVED? Salvation is a gift from God ─ free and irrevocable ─ based on Jesus Christ’s perfect life, atoning death and bodily resurrection. We receive it by turning from sin and trusting in Christ alone. We’re drawn to Christ by the Father’s love and the Spirit’s power.
6. WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF SALVATION? Everyone who trusts in Christ enjoys complete forgiveness, assurance of eternal life, and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit who equips us to obey and serve the Lord.
7. WHAT IS THE CHURCH? The universal church is comprised of all who trust in Christ, and their children. Each local church, as well as every Christian, is responsible to help fulfill Christ’s great commission to make disciples of all peoples.
8. WHAT ABOUT BAPTISM? Water baptism is a sign that we belong to the Lord. It is for believers and our children and can be administered by sprinkling, pouring, or immersion.
9. WHAT ABOUT THE LORD’S SUPPER? The Lord’s Supper is a sign of Christ’s death on our behalf and our continuing trust in Him. Through it believers are spiritually strengthened in their faith.
10. WHAT WILL HAPPEN IN THE FUTURE? When we die, those who are saved go immediately to heaven ─ God’s dwelling place; those who are lost go to hell ─ Satan’s dwelling place. Once the good news of salvation has been preached among all peoples, Christ will return to raise our bodies, judge sin and establish His eternal kingdom.
For a fuller summary of what the Bible teaches on each of these topics, please refer to the Westminster Confession of Faith.